Monday, July 10, 2006

Hamburg 11-15, 2006

HAMBURG


Hamburg was the start of my 3 week trip to Europe in May 2006. I have relatives from my father's side living here, and I stayed at my cousin Martin's place. I was going to be travelling most of my trip with my mother, who is retired, and my brother and his girlfriend. They will also be staying in Europe longer because they could take more than 3 weeks. Hamburg is quite a beautiful city in an understated way. About sixty percent of the city was demolished during WWII so there is a lot of modern architecture in this sprawling city. I took an English tour of the cityhall, the Hamburg Rathaus one morning. The inside is quite impressive with lots of marble, gold, wood paneling, and murals. There were some very beautiful brass fountains inside, as well as stainedglass windows. It is a north German neo-renaissance structure with very ornate detailing of the outer walls, courtyard, and roof. It houses both main governing bodies; city parliament and senate.

No comments: